[Yum] yum.cron, download only

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 12:29:29AM -0800, Nathan G. Grennan wrote:
>   I think this or something like it should replace the current default
> cron job script. A configuration option could even be made to do
> download only or automatic updates in the same script.

I think the script is a fine idea, and I can imagine many places that
would want to use it, but the question of whether to make it the
default becomes a philosophical one of who our target audience is; the
low end or the high end of the skill spectrum.

At the low end of the spectrum, you have users that a) probably aren't
running critical boxes and b) probably aren't so diligent as the folks
at the high end.  For them, I'd much rather things just install, with
the slight risk that things break.  These folks are probably not
running servers (other than your household mp3 server) so if something
breaks, it's not a big deal.  On the other hand, they're also more
likely to not do the regular maintenance required by your script (I
know it's small, but it's there).

Now, at the high end, you have the issues you describe, so they would
probably prefer your script.

Here's the kicker for me.  The power users have the skills and
awareness to switch.  The low end often doesn't.  Therefore, I almost
always prefer default configs tailored for the novice user.

So, bottom line, I think the script is a great idea for the power
user, but I don't think it should be the default.

					-Michael
--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619