[Yum] Using yum to update rpms without installation

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:37:35AM +0200, Mihai Maties wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2004 10:41, Mihai Maties wrote:
> > I believe that one of the main goals of the feature requested by the
> > original poster was to download a set of packages including its
> > dependencies. I didn't have the chance to look over "--download-only" but I
> > think that if you can issue "yum --download-only k3b" and get the k3b,
> > libmad, flac..etc packages it would be great.
> >
> > Some people cannot afford the bandwith/disk space to mirror entire
> > repositories so just keeping a set of packages up to date (together with
> > their dependencies) it would be a really good idea.
>
> I can confirm now: "yum --download-only install k3b" behaves as expected: it
> gets the k3b package along with all of its dependencies.

Note, though that it will only fetch dependencies needed for that box
(please correct me if I'm wrong here).  For example, if you already
have flac installed, it will not download the rpm.  This may or may
not be an issue for some applications.  Specifically, if you intend to
use these downloaded rpms for some OTHER machine which DOESN'T have
flac installed ...

					-Michael
--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619