[Yum] Some issues/questions regarding maintaining a local yum repository.

I recently tried to update, using yum update, a RH9 server, where yum
reported three-four missing dependencies. These dependencies were of
course missing from the [updates] base url but were available in the
[base] base url.

How do I get yum to look in the [base] url after it does not find them
in the [updates] url.

Same thing would happen when I create an additional mirror from
fedoralegacy.org. The updates issued after EOL would reside in a
different url in the repository. If a dependency is not found there yum
needs to go back to the [updates] url and again if it is not found there
yum needs to satisfy it from the [base] url.

I am assuming yum would not force the repository maintainer to the task
of maintaining a single repository url getting updates from all these
sources? or would it?

What is the best practice in this case, keeping in mind, all updates
must happen from the local repository at one go and the job of
repository maintainence is to be seperate.

With regards.
Sanjay.