[Yum] Re: Usernames, Passwords and yum

seth vidal wrote:

>It's not obvious to me what the benefit of yum is to a user who is not
>the admin. I guess they can query packages and look for info but if
>they're not going to install/remove/update something I don't really see
>the point of a user dealing with it.
>
>thoughts?

I'm gonna jump in here - and I might be way off target (missed beginning
of thread) but I can see a need for username/password authentication
with yum ...

example case ...

A company ships a linux distribution and wants to make updates available
(through yum) only to those users who have paid for ongoing support. The
yum server has a list of all 'valid' users. The yum client on the user's
machine authenticates against the yum server with their username and
password. If the username/password combo doesn't match an entry in the
list on the yum server - updates are denied, otherwise updates pass.

This may already be possible, either through yum itself, or with http
authentication, or whatever. I dunno - but if not - I think it would be
a nice feature for yum to have. And in order to run yum update in a cron
job - the authentication would need to be done without prompting user
for password ...

Feel free to discuss or abuse ...

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!