[Yum] why does yum have to fail when one repository fails?

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 19:31 +0200, lupus wrote:
> why does yum have to fail when one repository fails?
> I find it not logical that when one repository is down all repositories
> have to fail.
>
> Can't you just ignore this by default?

let's say you have 2 repositories
base
updates

let's say updates is down

you run
yum install foo

now foo exists in base and updates
but the one in base is old and security-bug riddled.

since updates is down you're going to get the one from foo.

so if we quietly fail when a repository is down, then you get not what
you expected to get.

future versions of yum have a --enablerepo --disablerepo option
included, so you can turn off a downed repository.

but I don't want to make it the default. This is what multiple baseurls
allowed per repository are all about. You can use a mirror.

-sv