[Yum] rpm installs without yum - but not when in yum repo.

Hi people,

I'm new to this list but not to yum. Just want to say thank-you to the
great work that has gone into creating a much needed linux tool. Yum has
become such a way of life for me I find it almost impossible to get away
from the Fedora/RedHat-yum combo. If I can't 'yum install whatever' then
it's probably gonna be more trouble than its worth ... so yay for yum!

Ok - enough sucking up - here's my problem :)

I have rebuilt the openssl-0.9.6b-35.7.rpm from source with
modifications to fix the latest vulnerability issue. I rebuild with
'rpmbuild -ba --target i386 --target i686 openssl.spec'. All goes well
and I have 4 new binary rpms at the end of it ...
openssl-0.9.6b-35.7.1.i386.rpm
openssl-devel-0.9.6b-35.7.1.i386.rpm
openssl-perl-0.9.6b-35.7.1.i386.rpm
openssl-0.9.6b-35.7.1.i686.rpm

If I install these rpms manually - they install fine. If I stick them in
my yum repository, run yum-arch, then try updating a machine, I get the
following ...

[root@rh73uni root]# yum update
Error: Cannot find baseurl or name for server 'base'. Skipping
Gathering package information from servers
Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[update: openssl.i686]
[update: openssl-devel.i386]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Calculating available disk space - this could take a bit
error: unpacking of archive failed on file
/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.6b;40bf2502: cpio: MD5 sum mismatch
openssl-devel 49 % doerror: unpacking of archive failed on file
/usr/lib/libcrypto.a;40bf2502: cpio: MD5 sum mismatch
openssl-devel 71 % doneUpdated:  openssl.i686 openssl-devel.i386
Transaction(s) Complete

Any ideas why the yum has trouble unpacking the archives when rpm
handles with no errors?

thanks

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!