[Yum] Re: update or upgrade?

In article <1074865806.3619.22.camel@binkley>,
seth vidal <yum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 04:54, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > In article <1074841169.19585.27.camel@binkley>,
> > seth vidal <yum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > update = get new versions of what is installed and any new dependencies
> > > you need
> > >
> > > upgrade = get new versions of what is installed -but look to see what
> > > packages obsolete what you have installed and get them.
> >
> > So why is "upgrade" deprecated in the man page, and threatened with
> > future removal? It seems like pretty important functionality to me,
> > when used correctly. I successfully used it to upgrade a RH9 box to FC1.
>
> My plan is to add in an option to let it say --obsoletes.
>

> so you can run: yum --obsoletes=[0|1] update
>
> and we get rid of the confusion about update and upgrade. :)
>
> does that make sense to you?

Yes, it does, thanks. I just didn't whant the functionality to disappear!

One suggestion: instead of 0 or 1, make it either --obsoletes=[yes|no]
or (even better) --obsoletes or --noobsoletes

You will also want the man page to be clear that the option must be used
when upgrading from one release to another, and not when just updating.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield