[Yum] How yum maintains groups of machines ?

Well, one way it does this is since if you install yum on 50 machines,
you can set it to run nightly, and then those machines will always be up
to date with the latest patches.  That's much easier than logging into
each machine individually to use 'rpm -U ...'.

Another thing you can do is configure groups in your repository using a
yumgroups.xml file to define the groups.  In this way, you can have
certain packages 'assigned' to each group.  Then, from a client machine,
you can run yum in 'groupupdate' mode and specify which group, and the
machine will automatically install all those group packages (and any
dependencies).

Third, and maybe most important - it is just fun to say 'yum' :)

-Jeff