[Yum] YUM and RPM db

After doing my first YUM based activity - an upgrade from RH7.3 to 9 via
the DULUG mirror - I installed some RPMs without YUM's help.  The new RPMs
don't seem to be showing up in the RPM db.  Is the use of YUM exclusive?
Is there some procedure that must be followed when installing or upgrading
packages without the use of YUM?
Thanks,
--
Lance McLean	TUNL High Resolution Laboratory
919.660.2539(office) 919.660.2640(lab)