[Yum] using yum for the second time

I ran yum as root and this is what happened:

> [root@localhost root]# yum list
> Gathering package information from servers
> Getting headers from: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
> IOError: [Errno socket error] (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')
> r.info
> [root@localhost root]# yum man
>
>     Usage:  yum [options] <update | upgrade | install | info | erase |
> list |
>             clean | provides>

>           -c [config file] - specify the config file to use
>           -e [error level] - set the error logging level
>           -d [debug level] - set the debugging level
>           -y answer yes to all questions
>           -R [time in minutes] - set the max amount of time to
> randonly run in.
>           -C run from cache only - do not update the cache
>           -h, --help this screen
>
> [root@localhost root]# yum update
> Gathering package information from servers
> Getting headers from: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
> IOError: [Errno socket error] (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')
> [root@localhost root]#

I am still stuck. I tried running yum as both a user and root and still
no progress. Any Ideas? Would it be the url it is rying to connect to?
It says

> 'Temporary failure in name resolution'

each time i ty to run it. Any ideas?

Thanks

drussi

run yum as root. You're running it as a user for the first time and
that's why you're seeing that problem. Run it as root.

-sv

Hello

Was hoping to get some help with uing yum. I am new to linux and have
only had a weeks experience and using yum is one thing I am having
trouble with. I cant seem to get it running and really want to get all
the updates to see if it is either me or my machine lacking the files
needed to get other things I am try to get going going. I start the
konsole shell and try the following command:

 > [drussi@localhost drussi]$ yum list

and this is what I get after it:

 > Gathering package information from servers
 > Getting headers from: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
 > Traceback (most recent call last):
 > File "/usr/bin/yum", line 44, in ?
 > yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
 > File "yummain.py", line 141, in main
 > File "clientStuff.py", line 643, in get_package_info_from_servers
 > OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/cache/yum/base'
 > [drussi@localhost drussi]$

Has anybody ever experienced this. Can anyone help me out to get it
runnning I am really hanging and have no idea why I get the last line
before the prompt returns for me to try again to get yum working and end
up with the same result.

Thanks.