[Yum] Using yum for system upgrades

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 15:22 -0500, Jim McConnell wrote:

> on 2/16/2004 3:02 PM seth vidal said the following:
>
> > you really don't want to do this.
>
> Why?  The cruft problem below?  Will the likelihood of rpm database
> corruption increase?  I have no illusions about the potential for data
> loss here; it is quite high.  It's a risk I'm willing to take.  Just for
> grins, I'm going to make an ISO backup of the system, download it, burn
> it, restore it, and see what happens if I DO do this on hardware I don't
> care about.

no - it's just that you're talking about 3 MAJOR version revisions and
an untold number of package obsoletion cycles.

> Again, I'd like to know why?
>
> Were that an option, I would do that.  I do not have physical access to
> the machine, and there are no other machines on the same vlan that I
> have access to.  Yes, it's not the greatest situation.  You do odd
> things for free bandwidth...

ok - so two things:

1. you can install fc1 via vnc now - kinda a neat trick - might be an
option for you.
2. if you really want to do this I'd suggest:
   a. backup everything
   b. strip down the set of packages installed on the system as low as
you can go - you should be able to get it down to as few as 100-200pkgs
   c. yum upgrade to fc1
   d. reboot
   e. install all the stuff you had on there before

-sv