[Yum] Yum newbie seeks many answers

   So far I have spent a couple days (that's _days_) on getting
yum update completed.  I got a round a few stalls by reloading the
command.  Then today I left the machine on while iwent to a meeting
for a 3 or 4 hours.  When I got back yum update was still chugging away
and not copmplete yet.

   Q:  Will the installed updates work ok if I never get the
       update completed?

   Q:  As I understand it, yum is used as the command to install
       regular rpms.

Please give some examples of using yum with the extensions given
on the man page.

   I am using Fedora Core 2, which I understand is prolly not the
best choice for a noob, but until such time as I get high speed
and can d/l an OS inside a day I'm stuck with this version from
the book by Chris Negus that I got on library loan.

   Other refs are books and a listserv run by Marcel Gagne.

   Attention other noobs:  Marcel will have a newsstand magazine
called Tux out in February.  Info at www.tuxmagazine.com

   Attention pros:  Marcel is giving away mag subs for good tips.

lon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx first time poster here.