[Yum] Strange results using mirrorlist when mirrors out of sync

Hi Seth,

I've been experiencing a strange effect on FC3 with yum-2.1.11-3 from
the Install DVD without being able to find the cause until now.

The command 'yum check-update' shows packages for update,
a subsequent 'yum update' does nothing.

Attempts to specify the package more exactly up to using version,
architechture etc. help *sporadically*.

Since this is intermittent, I haven't resorted to 'yum -d 10 ...' yet.

Yesterday I saw got a 404-Not found Errror as well,
and when I tried again, the update wasn't listed.

I reduced my mirrorlist to one mirror, the updates were not listed.

Today I saw *all* of the affected updates, and 'yum update' got them all,
the release, version, etc. are *exactly* what I saw yesterday.

I think:

- the original 'yum check-update' got the repodata from the *primary* mirror.

- when yum actually tried to retrieve the new packages,
 it couldn't reach the primary mirror, and tried one or more
 secondary mirrors, and reached one which hadn't yet synced.

- and today the mirror I left active has synced from the primary.

This is not really a huge problem, but might worry people until they realise
what's going on - I thought yum wasn't working correctly.

Maybe a message might help, assuming there's a way to
catch the problem:

 "unable to retrieve package xyz, repo=abc, metadata from <timestamp>"

or maybe it's one for the FAQ.

Fred.