[Yum] support for --repackage?

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 01:30:32PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 13:22 -0500, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > The transaction doesn't currently do anything for repackaging but it is
> > > something I would like to implement shortly.
> > >

> > Eeep.
> >
> > Better start looking at rpm-4.4 (and talking to me off-line please ;-) then.
> >

> I'm just talking about the repackage implementation that's in up2date's
> callback. Or is that one changing, too.

"Lightly tested" is perhaps pleasant and euphonius on tired ears.

AFAIK from my rpm POV, --repackage is an abandoned and orphaned implementation
that is not going to play well with other and newer features like multilib,
selinux, header-only signatures, and perhaps more. Any other information to
the contrary is (cover your ears ;-) FUD.

But I can certainly resurrect sufficient functionality to satisfy any
known "real world" goal if given enough lead time, like a couple weeks.

Some of jodin's stuff is headed in the right direction, but I have not
really assessed what else needs doing.

The bindings need work too, as the repackage call can/will suck
every header from /usr/lib/rpm/Packages into memory with a single
python mathod invocation, there are certainly better API's that
should be attempted. That's just for starters ...

Hint: Sooner the better ...

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ