[Yum] Re: yum update problem with biarch (i686/x86_64)

Seth:

> What version of yum? I'm sure I already asked you but I'd appreciate it
> if you could let me know, again.

I'm using 2.0.7, with some very minor hacks (tweaking the log format,
etc). I didn't change anything related to dependency resolution, though.

> > I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that the same package name was
> > installed twice (once for each architecture).
>
> It shouldn't have any problem with that at all. I've checked on some of
> my x86_64 machines running fc2 and yum 2.0.7 in my office and they're
> getting glibc updates for both i686 and x86_64 by doing a yum update.

Interesting. It looks like you should be in the same situation for FC2
that I am in for RHEL3:

	the original FC2 x86_64 release contained:
		glibc-2.3.3-27.x86_64.rpm
		glibc-2.3.3-27.i686.rpm
		glibc-common-2.3.3-27.x86_64.rpm

	the update server for FC2 contains:
		glibc-2.3.3-27.1.i686.rpm
		glibc-2.3.3-27.1.x86_64.rpm
		glibc-common-2.3.3-27.1.x86_64.rpm

So suppose you load a x86_64 machine with FC2 (so you have the x86_64
glibc), and then install glibc-2.3.3-27.i686 as well. You can then do a
yum update and it will upgrade all 3 RPMs to the latest version? That's
basically what fails for me on RHEL3.

I can reload one of my machines with a vanilla FC2 x86_64 and an
unmodified version of yum-2.0.7 to try this out. (My machines are all
using RHEL3 and our private yum repository right now)

> If you have a specific failure code or something you can cut and paste
> that might help some.

I think I described everything relevant in my first email. Basically, it
seems that yum is ignoring the i686 glibc RPM when it tries to do an
update.

'yum check-update' only shows the x86_64 glibc RPMs as available for
updating; it doesn't show the i686 glibc RPM update. (yum does correctly
find other i386 updates, e.g. for openoffice.org RPMs which are i386 only)

'yum update' fails during the dependency check, seemingly because it
ignores the i686 update. (It wants to update the x86_64 glibc-common RPM,
which would break the dependency of the i686 glibc RPM, which requires the
older glibc-common RPM to be present)

The exact error that I get is:

	Resolving dependencies
	....Unable to satisfy dependencies
	Package glibc needs glibc-common = 2.3.2-95.20, this is not available.

The updated version of glibc is 2.3.2-95.27.

But if I tell yum to do an install instead of an update, then it works;
i.e. if I already have both the x86_64 and i686 glibc RPMs installed ahead
of time, and I then run:

	glibc install glibc.i686

then yum will correctly update both the i686 and x86_64 RPMs to the new
versions, and figure out the correct dependencies in the process.

I have the same problem with XFree86 as well;  XFree86-libs is installed
for both i386 and x86_64, and both RPMs require a certain version of
XFree86-libs-data. yum only wants to update the x86_64 RPMs for
XFree86-libs and XFree86-libs-data; it ignores the i386 update for
XFree86-libs.

Thanks a lot,

Chris
wingc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx