[Yum] Re: installroot and arch

Axel Thimm wrote:

> But what would you do? Provide all possible binaries for the host's
> architecture, too?

I don't think that that "all possible binaries" are really needed.
Are there really so many scriplets that need more than core-utils +
grep + gawk ?

> The rpm scriplets are run in the chroot environment, speak in the
> target architecture's environment. Sneaking in host binaries for the
> scriplets to succeed in a target compatible way will be quite a
> major task.

Some links and setting PATH would probably do (hmm, that might mean
modification of rpm and we all know how easy this would happen ;-)).
If the scripts would be written with f.e. %{make} instead of make it
might be even easier, but I haven't thought much about this ;-)

> But at the end of the day you'll find setting up on a native machine
> will be easier, and probably it will happen at the end of the day
> instead of at the end of the year :)

Sure and actually I didn't even think about these details when I wrote
the "bad news" section of my message. I just expected that nobody will
pick it up considering it a too difficult problem, but now I'm not so
convinced anymore :-)

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx