[Yum] bad yum repo hanging yum client?

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:06:17AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > Ok, retries isn't set, so defaulting to 6; this is yum 2.0.7, btw.
> > Should there be a client timeout on transfers?
>
> It's not obvious this is something that can be done without forking off
> the download process. I'm not really sure how to monitor the downloader
> to create some other timeout.

Probably standard tcp timeouts is the way to go there.  The current
urlgrabber (in 2.0.7) does not support custom timeouts, so the
standard tcp timeout will apply.  It's there, but it can be fairly
long (on the order of a few minutes IIRC).  There's been discussion if
adding custom timeout support to urlgrabber TNV, but no action on
that.  It wouldn't be difficult at all (i've done it before in other
programs) but there is a slight question of tidiness: python 2.2
doesn't have built-in support for timeouts, but there's a module out
there for adding it in.  Python 2.3 DOES include built-in support.
Writing for both versions simultaneously gets a leetle bit ugly.

					-Michael
--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619