[Yum] feature missing from yum :)

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 09:23, Nielsen, Steve wrote:
> What I am asking for is behavior that is similar to rpm behavior
> (since yum mostly emulates it anyway).

yum doesn't emulate rpm.

> rpm -e is yum erase
> rpm -i is yum install
> rpm -F (freshen) is yum update
> rpm -U (update if installed else install)? - this is what is missing....

no it's not missing and no, it's not being added. I've always considered
this use in rpm of the word 'update' to be completely inappropriate.
That is not what I consider an update.

> I am not complaining just hoping the feature will be added. It would
> be very useful for installing RPMs using yum on lots of machines. Then
> I don't have to wrap yum or use rpm directly all the time (rpm -q
> $rpmname && yum update $name || yum install $name).

why do you often find yourself running:
yum update pkgname

install will switch to update if it finds a package that is already
installed. Part of the concept of install includes 'update' b/c an
update is a subset of an install (in my world view)

so yum install foo bar baz with baz installed but an older version
should:
install foo
install bar
update baz

> Since yum is written for sysadmins and I am a sysadmin I asking for
> this feature.
I'm a sysadmin too and when programs SAY one thing and do another thing
it annoys the crap out of me. :)

-sv