[Yum] Re: conflict with file

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 02:37:34PM -0400, Ryan Tomayko wrote:
> To add a bit of info for Tim from my experiences with atrpms - there's a
> couple of packages (e.g. mozilla-firebird) that I would love to use from
> that repo but he has a support package (atrpms-utils or something??)
> that is required by most other packages. That util package requires yum
> from his repo (i.e. looks like the requires might specify his release
> and not just version), which makes the entire repository unusable if you
> need a custom/other yum rpm.

No, that's not true. There is no dependency on any yum/apt from my
site, other than the granularity of the packages (BTW I don't provide
mozilla-firebird, but a repo activated by atrpms' yum/apt rpms does).

> Now, you're actually seeing the other side of the problem where you
> probably have a bunch of atrpms packages installed already
> (including yum) and they all depend on the atrpms yum package so you
> cannot remove/update yum without removing every other atrpms package
> that depends on it first.  I bet you get a whole bunch of dependency
> removes when you do a "yum remove yum".

That won't happen, but don't try removing yum with yum, use
rpm --test -e package
to test what you want.

> Anyway, does the atrpms maintainer watch this list? Maybe we should
> shoot him a quick FWIW +1 vote on removing the unneeded Requires for yum
> in his util package or making it non-dependant on his release as seth
> suggested..

See above. If you find a better solution I am open to any
suggestions. As you can see from the atrpms' version-release data, the
configuration changes rather frequently, so a rebulding and
redistribution of monolithic rpms will anger users even more (in fact
this design has been user driven).
--
Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx