[Yum] Security of yum rpms

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Simon Kitching wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm concerned that installing the yum rpm sets up a yum.conf file that
> points to duke.edu, and a cron job to run it.
>
> If anyone should crack the duke yum repository, installing a trojan rpm
> of, say, glibc with an updated version number, then every system that
> has ever installed yum and not disabled the duke url would be cracked
> that night when the cron job runs.

Absolutely.  Excellent reason to set up your own repository, although
this doesn't really solve the problem, as you'll likely still mirror
some other repository that mirrors some OTHER repository and of course
it or your own repository could be cracked.

With rpm's, kickstart, yum, your installation won't be secure no matter
what you do. It will, however, be a lot MORE secure MOST of the time,
and if cracked (even topdown cracked as you describe) it may take a lot
LESS time to fix and bring back up again.

> In fact, it's just as well we trust you, Seth; you could own a whole lot
> of linux boxes very quickly if you should wish to :-)

Seth is actually an alien creature originally from a small planet
orbiting Arcturus.  If one surprises him unawares, he is often muttering
something about a place named "R'Lyeh" and some dude named "Ktooloo".
He is disguised as an Albanian terrorist, disguised as a systems
programmer, seeking to take control of all the computers on the planet
that matter (all of the ones running linux).

Don't trust him.  Not even his best friends trust him, and some of them
have way too many tentacular arms with these little mouthie things on
the ends and make buzzing sounds as they crawl out of slimy caverns...

> Alternatively, rpm signing could be enabled instead:
> * run "gpg --install /usr/share/rhn/RPM-GPG-KEY"
> * have the yum.conf file always set gpgcheck=1
> This would at least ensure that if a cracker installed a trojan in the
> duke yum repository, it would be rejected due to invalid signature.

Maybe.  I personally wouldn't trust gpg checking all that far as this
also involves one in loops of trust and who you gonna trust to tell you
who NOT to trust (and with what tools).

In my direct experience there is no such thing as secure, only varying
degrees of risk that have to be weighed against the benefits associated
with different choices.  For example, you could set up a twinned mirror
(with gpgchecking and all) but insert a one week lag between the
appearance of a new package and your making it available in your
repository for client updates.  This gives egregiously trojanned glibc's
time to surface among the systems of risk-takers who installed it right
away (so you can avoid it, maybe) at the expense of increasing the
window of opportunity that exists when a critically patched rpm is
delayed.

In my mind, you just take your chances, keep good backups, and try to
construct a distribution system that is sufficiently robust and scalable
that IF it is compromised it isn't horribly difficult to rebuild or
repair everything.  However, in the face of der ubercracker, there is
little one can do.

   rg-clearly-overdosing-on-lovecraft-b
   Ph.D., Miskatonic University,
   Arkham, Mass.

Cthulhu f'thagn and happy halloween, y'all...

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx