[Yum] Repositry precedence

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Marc Glade wrote:

> I'm wondering if it is currently possible to have yum select the latest
> version of a package from one group of repositories over another group
> of repositories? I think what I am envisioning is some sort of new
> tiered approach to the repositories in yum.conf that mixes
> pkgpolicy=newest with pkgpolicy=last that isn't currently doable with
> yum. Say I have 3 repositories in tier A and two more in tier B, when I
> run yum to update or install a package I want yum to search tier A first
> and if it finds the correct package to pick the latest from those 3
> repositories. If it cant find the package in tier A than it would search
> tier B. This would allow me to keep packages that may not be the newest
> out of all the repos in my yum.conf but are the newest from the repos I
> have more trust in or prefer to use over others whenever possible. If
> this is already possible with yum can someone point me in the right
> direction on how to set this up.

I expect one way to do it would be to create two yum.confs, one for A
and one for B.  Then wrap yum in a script that tries to update (or
install) from tier A, and iff it succeeds run the same update/install
command on B.  If it finds a newer package there it will install it, but
it won't even get to that step unless the package is in A.

It's probably going to be better to create very specialized sequences
like this by means of wrapping yum in very specialized scripts, rather
than trying to add support for every possible mode of installation to
yum itself.

[Hint: this would be very easy to do wrapping yum inside of perl, which
would appeal to my perverse sense of humor...]

   rgb

> Thanks,
> Marc

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx