[Yum] ok, so how come "yum update" doesn't?

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> > > so this is on 7.x or 8.0?
> > >
> > > That branch is not a good place to be 'learning about yum'.
> >
> > my version of RH?  it's the second beta of severn.  not the most recent
> > test release but the one just prior to that.  i'm not sure i know what
> > you're asking here.  7.x or 8.0 of what?
>
> You're running yum 0.94 on severn test2?
>
> how? Why?

no, no, i obviously phrased that badly.  the system i'm playing with was
originally a severn 0.94 (FC2?  trying to get my versioning straight
here), with the original yum 2.0.3 on it.  all of that was working fine,
until i did the

# yum install fedora-release

to officially stamp the box as 0.95.  at that point, i had the
aforementioned problem where i couldn't "yum update yum", which i
solved by just backing off and using "rpm -Uvh ...".  the box is now
officially version FC release 0.95, running yum 2.0.4.

at this point, however, "yum list updates" tells me that there's 364
packages that could be updated, and just running "yum update" runs for
*several* minutes before bailing telling me that i need more space on
/usr, and that's the problem.

AFAICT, if i were to update a handful of RPMs at a time, i'd be fine.
but (if i understand your previous post correctly), yum is taking its cue
from "rpm" and somehow estimating how much space it's going to need, and
is telling me that i'm about 250M short of space in /usr to do anything,
even though the eventual updates wouldn't actually use up much more space
than the RPMs they're replacing.

if i understand this correctly (and i very well may not be), this strikes
me as a significant problem.  it's quite possible that someone may install
a version of fedora some time after it's released, when the available
updates have built up to the point where this error will occur.  and that
means it's going to keep happening *every* *night* when yum.cron is run,
no?  so the system will *never* be updated, as it will have this space
error every night.

am i understanding this correctly?

rday