[Yum] Request for help understanding yum output

Hi,

After some more experimentation, I have resolved all of the below
issues.

Sorry,

Simon

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 04:23, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having just run "yum" for the first time, I have some questions I hope
> someone can help me with.
>
> My system: vanilla RH8.0 install, with yum 1.0.3 added.
>
> I have mirrored the rh8 updates directory from updates.redhat.com to a
> local server, run yum-arch, then ran yum against that repository.
>
> --------------------------------
> The last lines of the yum output are:
>
> Adding glibc-debug into 'a' state
> localhdrpath=
> /var/cache/yum/ecn-redhat-8.0-stable/headers/glibc-debug-0-2.3.2-4.80.6.i386.hdr for glibc-debug i386
> # of Deps = 1
> debug dep: iptables req stat -  - 0
> No suggestion for iptables needing stat
> Restarting Dependency Loop
> .package iptables needs stat (not provided)
>
> Is this a success or a failure???
>
> If a failure, does anyone have an idea what it is complaining about?

To answer myself :-)

(a) setting debuglevel=9 just made this more confusing; turning down
debugging actually made the problem more obvious

(b) redhat's update dir is at fault: their updated iptables rpm depends
on the "stat" rpm which is not in the updates dir. It needs to be
downloaded separately!

> --------------------------------
>
> I saw a lot of output like this:
>
> Adding kmix into 'a' state
> localhdrpath=
> /var/cache/yum/ecn-redhat-8.0-stable/headers/kmix-6-3.0.5a-2.i386.hdr
> for kmix i386
>
> Does this "a" state mean that "yum" has recognised that the local os
> does *not* have this package installed, and so has ignored it, and will
> ignore it in future?
>
> Running "rpm -qa | grep kmix" reports nothing, so I presume it wasn't
> installed...

Turn down debugging and the proper message appears: "Made available" or
similar, ie I presume yum now "knows" it exists, but hasn't installed
it.

> ------------------------------
>
> Updating: openssh, i386
> localhdrpath=
> /var/cache/yum/ecn-redhat-8.0-stable/headers/openssh-0-3.4p1-7.i386.hdr
> for openssh i386
> Not an install only pkg, adding to ts
>
> I would have thought this meant that openssh has been upgraded to
> 3.4p1-7. However "rpm -q openssh" reports "openssh-3.4p1-2", implying
> that the local system has not been upgraded.
>
> Any idea what happened?

The install didn't happen because of the missing "stat" dependency.

> Oh, and if this sort of info is available in a document anywhere, please
> point me to it so I don't bother the list with it. Google didn't bring
> up any references, and it isn't in the excellent (though only partially
> written) document at:
>
>  http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/yum_HOWTO/yum_HOWTO/yum_HOWTO.html
>
> (thanks, Robert & Jonathan).

?? It still would be nice to get some info on this....