[Yum] Feature request(s)

> First of all, your role as a maintainer, especially as yum becomes more
> popular, is to say "NO".  For yum to remain a nice tool, you MUST resist as
> much as possible adding everybody's requested features.

You're right. But some of the features I kinda like the idea of :)

> Also, many features in your example list are things that can be achieved
> with rpm directly, so let rpm do what it can do and let yum concentrate on
> the things that rpm can't do by itself only.

The problem with letting rpm do them all is that 1. they cannot call on
remote repositories with rpm and 2. rpm's syntax can be a bit daunting.

> > if y'all ever seen the cvs manpage, then you know what I'm talking about.
>
> Oh sure.  And so far what makes yum attractive is its simple user interface.
> Please don't let that disappear.

I talked with mstenner and icon over lunch and discussed, in general,
how to deal with this.

one suggestion - that I think might be useful was:

- make the yum repo handling as 'library-like' as possible. Keep the
core yum command the way it is (more or less) and then if people want to
write scripts that make use of the yum repository-handling stuff then
they can and these things don't have to all be bolted into yum.

The plus side of this: less clutter in yum, more generic repository
handling

The minus side of this: slower movement b/c the library api will need to
be as stable as possible to keep the other scripts working  around it.

Thoughts?
-sv