[Yum] Feature request(s)

seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 17:28, Christopher C. Weis wrote:
>
>>I'm fairly new to Yum, but it's been great for me thus far.  Regardless,
>>there are two features that I would love to see yum have...
>>
>>1) Support for repackaging old rpms (such as the --repackage option to
>>rpm).  This is important, especially in a server'ish environment.
>

> So people actually use this feature? I was under the impression it was
> not-terribly trusted and underutilized. I know the scriptlets for
> restoring from a --repackaged rpm have had some issues.

It's the only way I know of to roll back an update on a RPM-based
system.  I don't do a lot of rollbacks, but the times that I have needed
to use it, it's been a lifesaver.

> Do you want the repackage rpms made or do you want yum to be able to
> install them too?

I just want it to be able to repackage the rpms.  As I mentioned in a
conversation I had with another non-Linux admin this morning, YUM is a
great tool for automated package management or for people who are still
learning; however, it's not a replacement for understanding the basics
of "rpm", at least not if you're serious about maintaining your
machines.  In the case of actually rolling back an RPM, I don't think
assuming the user knows how to use "rpm" is too much to ask.

> The former isn't too bad, the latter is a fair bit harder.

I'm only after the former.

>>2) The ability to download, but not install, RPMs, using Yum.
>

> there's an rfe in bugzilla for this one. I don't see any reason not to
> do this.

Do you want me to add this (repackage) enhancement to bugzilla as well?

>>I'm willing to make the changes myself, but I'd like to know if there is
>>any documentation (such as method descriptions and flow charts)
>>available.  There may be several ways to do this, so  if anyone could
>>point me in the right direction, I'd be greatful.
>

> I've used doc strings on most of the non-obvious functions and methods,
> You should be able to follow them roughly.
>
> if you want to get the general flow of things read yummain.py main()
>
> good luck.
> -sv

Thanks.  I appreciate the help.  I'll send you the diffs once I get
things working.