[Yum] Faster downloads of headers

Hey all,

I have been using yum with Fedora Core 1 and it has been working well.
One thing I have noticed and seen people complaining about is the time
to download the headers.  I have a couple of ideas on how this could be
improved.

Yum is much slower than apt but it isn't transmitting lots more data.
The yum headers are only twice the size of the apt lists for the same
repository.  I think the problem is the latency with downloading lots of
little files.  The two solutions I thought of were:

1. Use HTTP pipelining.  HTTP 1.1 allows sending multiple requests
before reading the responses.  I don't know if the Python httplib
supports pipelining.

2. Put the headers in an archive.  The initial fetch of a repository
would download the archive if present and unpack it.  Later updates
would fetch the individual headers.

  - Ian

--
ian@xxxxxxxxx