[Yum] URGENT: Can someone pls help?

Brad Cox wrote:
> Sigh, this is turning into a real nightmare. The yum upgrade download
> succeeded, but failed during the install:
>
> [bcox@linux etc]$ sudo yum upgrade
> Password:
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
> error: rpmdb: damaged header #550 retrieved -- skipping.
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Finding obsoleted packages
> Resolving dependencies
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#     904 Header V3 DSA signature:
> BAD, key ID 4f2a6fd2
> Segmentation fault
>
> This is precisely the problem I'd hoped the new install would have
> fixed. The reason I decided to move on to fedora now instead of waiting
> for it to mature is that I started getting errors in the RH8.0 rpm
> database. --rebuilddb doesn't fix it:
>
> bcox@linux etc]$ sudo rpmdb --rebuilddb
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#     900 Header V3 DSA signature:
> BAD, key ID 66534c2b
> ===snip; repeated many times ===
> Segmentation fault
>
> I'd hoped the CD install process (as described below) would have built a
> new db, so I'm getting exactly the same errors once yum upgrade
> completes its download and tries to install. BTW rpm is 4.2.1.

This is not suprising as yum uses the same libraries as rpm.

> I hope someone here can advise. The system is usable at this point but
> not upgradable so I'll live with it for now. I don't have a CD writer,
> so I'll order a new CD set. I think the only solution will be to do a
> clean install from the CDs, right? Its a real bummer because the yum
> upgrade download completed just fine and all that's missing is the install.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

So does that error occur with any rpm operation?  What about rpm -q
kernel?  rpm --help?  rpm --version?

Well, if your RPM database is broken you may be up a creek without a
paddle.  The first thing you'll need to do is make a list of all the
packages you currently have installed.  If you can manage a rpm -qa
--queryformat="%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}.rpm\n" | sort >
rpmlist.out, that will do.  Next you'll want to remove any __db.* files
in /var/lib/rpm.  You may also want to back up that directory completely.

Next, run rpm -Va > rpmverify.out.

There are other steps to take after this, but I need to get a better
handle on what your problem is.  By the way, did you check
bugzilla.redhat.com for that error message?