[Yum] Maintaining yum repositories

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Nielsen, Steve wrote:

> I am using rsync now but when I want to merge the updates I get from
> rsync into my distro area (for kickstart installs) that is where it
> becomes a problem. Basically that is what I am asking is what tools do
> people use to merge updated RPMs into the distribution area.

> So the basic steps would be:
> rsync down the updates
> merge udpates into distro <--- here
> rebuild the hdlist

If I understand you, another possibility is to mirror an updates
repository into an updates directory separate from the primary/original
distribution, install using kickstart as usual, and finish off with a
yum update as one part of the %post.  Yum lays the updates on top of the
existing installation just perfectly.

That's what I always do.  Then you just mirror a standard release and
updates tree (which can even be in the same repository, separate
directories, no need to actually "merge" anything).  In fact, I think a
lot of repositories do the same.

   rgb