[Yum] Odd question

This was not the purpose of my post, and you have misunderstood what I was
getting at in attempt to post your works.

I don't have the budget to pay $350-$700 to redhat each year for RHEL
(although the educational institution pack is tempting), nor will I run a
server on fedora (too much change), nor do I have time to build all the
security updates for redhat9 myself once april rolls around and the errata
goes away. I already have a debian server with loads of storage space. So
virtual hosting a yum repository is not a far cry from reality. I have no
intention of mixing yum and apt on a debian box for installs, as this is an
instant recipe for disaster. I simply need to be able to generate the
headers for the fedora core rpms so that others can use yum to pull from a
local mirror for better bandwidth conservation.

To that end, the debian stable packages are seemingly too old for yum at
present, and some tweaking of code is going to be necessary on my part to
make this function. Debian stable rpm packages are for rpm 4.0.3, so I
thought I would give yum 1.0.3 a shot. It builds and installs successfully,
however the pullheaders.py attempts to load rpm404 which seems non-existent
as the traceback below states.

 testing:/var/www/pub/pub/redhat/linux/updates/9/en# yum-arch .
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum-arch", line 22, in ?
    import pullheaders
  File "pullheaders.py", line 24, in ?
ImportError: No module named rpm

I've never had to do much digging in yum because on redhat and fedora it's
always Just Worked  (thanks seth et al.!)

Now this is finals week for us, so I have even less free time, but it would
seem that I need to either install or build a version of RPM from this
decade, and possibly look into rebuilding python to make this function
within my effective budget of 0 dollars.

I hate to re-invent the wheel, so I thought I'd ask if someone already had
it running on a debian box, and just plagiarize what they had done. Since
this does not seem to be the case, I'll do what I can to get it functional,
document it, and post it for others to use if they think I'm sane enough to
trust.
</rant>

Somewhere in the above article is a traceback, and if anyone wants to point
me in the proper direction or offer up ideas, I'm all ears.

--On Thursday, November 20, 2003 10:06:14 -0500 "Robert G. Brown"