[Yum] Newbie question

Okay. I confess. I'm a newbie. I was totally stoked when I went back to
my RH9 distro and installed an RPM without the handholding of a wizard.
So forgive me if I oversimplify....

I'm tired of searching freshrpms for an rpm and then for all its
dependencies. I'm tired of finding out, along the way, that I'm 3 months
behind on some critical update or security patch. I'm tired of worrying
that there are more such things I never stumble over.

So when I learned about Yum and started reading, I thought "There is a
God. And yes, he loves me."

Then I started reading the How To. Remember that part where I said I was
stoked about really simple stuff? And now I have to reconfigure my hard
drives to make space for 3 or 4 repositories (freshrpms, os, updates),
configure those repos then set up the cron entries. THATS gonna happen.
Might as well ask me to walk on water, juggle flaming violins and manage
to play a Mozart sonnata as they go by.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to figuring all that stuff out. But
I need baby steps. And devoting a week to getting the system set up
properly ain't baby steps for me.

First step for me should be "get my system up to date". If I understand
things correctly, I can just run something like "yum update" and yum
will use its default repos (the ones set up, maintained and supported by
OTHER people) to get me fixed up.

My first question is: Is this kosher? I don't want to wear out my
welcome on these default sites.

My second question is: If I want to put RH9 on all 5 of my computers
here at home, would it still be kosher to rely on those default sites
for each, or am I crossing the bounds of good taste?

My third question is: Assuming that everyone yelled "SET UP YOUR OWN
REPO" in response to Q2, how much drive space am I likely to need to set
them up? (I did a test rsynch yesterday and ran out of space after 3Gig.
Just how much space should I be planning on dedicating to all this?)

Thanks to all involved for creating such a bloody useful tool. Thanks
for tolerating newbie questions. Thanks for answering mine. And thanks
for putting those little colored candies on Hawaiian donuts. (I'm not
sure where your powers end. :-)

Jefficus