[Yum] Red Hat Linux 9 as of April 30, 2004 - maintainance dis continued

Wilhelm Moser said:
> Who will fill that gap? Is someone out there who will
> continue building
> updated RH6,7,8,9 packages to download from yum repositories?

Are you volunteering?

There are several projects aiming to pick up where Red Hat left off.  One
that seems particularly interesting is cAos, which is basing its
distribution off of RHEL but is completely free with a social contract like
Debian's.  cAos is a community based rather than profit based distro.

cAos has four different distributions coming:

cAos1-el - RHEL 2.1, cleansed of non-free software and Red Hat trademarks.
It's basically done but not yet available for download.  Meant mainly as a
basis for cAos1-gp.
cAos1-gp - General purpose Linux distribution that is cAos1-el at its core,
with the addition of recent stable versions of all packages.  Anticipate a
general release this quarter.
cAos2-el - RHEL 3.0, cleansed of non-free software and Red Hat trademarks.
Anticipate a general release this quarter.
cAos2-gp - General purpose Linux distribution that is cAos2-el at its core,
with the addition of recent stable versions of all packages, 2.6 kernel,
etc.  No release date target yet that I am aware of.

The web site is http://www.caosity.org but the action is mostly happening in
IRC right now.

To get things back on topic, cAos *does* use yum for updates.  There is
experimentation going on now to get the OS install itself to use yum so you
get all the latest packages right from the getgo when you install on a new
machine.

There is a pretty good chance that cAos2-el will spawn some fork
distributions as well.  But for the time being a number of people are
pooling resources to get a free & sanitized version of RHEL 3 out there as a
foundation for a community based distro with long life cycles, strong
enterprise automation tools, etc.  The cAos GP distribution seems to be
aiming more towards a general use distro, which will probably better
backfill for people who used RHL and feel a bit alienated over Fedora and
the short life cycles.