[Yum] Using hdlist and some questions

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 08:19, Josko Plazonic wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
>
> >The biggest problem with focusing support on the hdlist is that the
> >mechanism of using the header is going away in a future version of yum.
> >Instead of using the headers to figure out which packages we'll need we
> >use the metadata from the header to figure out which packages to try to
> >test with then we only download the header when we've got a greater
> >likelihood of needing it - for the transaction set check.
> >

> Careful there, while it is going to work in most cases you are going to
> have problems with certain dependencies, at least as they are configured
> now, especially where one package needs a file and another provides it -
> no way to know which rpms are involved without having all the header data.

yes. there is. You have the metadata in one set of files and the
complete file lists for that 5% of packages that have a file requires
that is not a file caught by the wildcards *bin/*, /etc/* or
/usr/lib/sendmail.

> I think the only thing missing are changelogs, check the patch better -
> you need to invoke a special function in order to get file data before
> writing the header out to disk. I personally don't see why query
> changelogs anyway but maybe that's just me (too much stray data in there).

people have requested "show me all packages changed in the last N days"
or
"show me the changelogs from this update to a program"

> Maybe is more efficient (though why reread headers, all you need to read
> is header.info - then it is read all rpms, read headers.info, write only
> headers that changed).

no you don't. You need to make sure you're not leaving a corrupt header.

and just b/c the version didn't change doesn't mean the package didn't.

> Makes sense?  I think it should be the default in install/update cases -
> why keep a header for a package that's just been installed.

why do it w/o being asked?

> Fine with me (perfectly capable of patching stuff myself), I hope the
> new way of downloading headers will in near future solve my concerns
> anyway.  I mostly want with this to eliminate the initial download from
> the core repository.

I think it will help that problem significantly.

-sv