[Yum] script run idea

> Then I got thinking of in that case, there'd be a 'meta-config', and
> three other individual configs.  This got me thinking about a yum.conf
> that looks like this (please to forgive simulated XML):

advantages to xml for the config files - it can easily be handled by a
program to add/subtract entries, etc.

That's cool.

disadvantage - you need to write a program to manipulate them b/c, while
they CAN be handled by humans it is typically a pain in the ass to do
so.

I tend to use xml as a data-interchange format less than a
user-interactive format.

so the header.info file format may, at some point, move to a
headerinfo.xml b/c no one should ever really have to interact with those
directly.

> This would get rid of the nice & clean existing syntax though. I don't
> know how many people would need/utilize this.  but, the 'template' could

the problem is - I'd much rather have a single mechanism for the config.

so it is EITHER configParser OR xml for the config file, not both.

I mention this only b/c maintaining both of them would suuuuuuuuuuck.

I'm not, necessarily, opposed to xml for the script/template format.

> then have the following format, or some such:
>
> <template>
> 	<group name="redhat">
> 		<action type="groupinstall">tom</action>
> 		<action type="remove">harry</action>
> 		<action type="install">ted</action>
> 		<action type="update">*</action>
> 	</group>
> 	<group name="freshrpms">
> 		<action type="install">do</action>
> 		<action type="update">*</action>
> 	</group>
> </template>
>
> obfuscated...  but just a thought.

I don't have a problem with the template being xml.

What would be the motive?
So you could have an interface to design them? We're not talking about a
terribly complex language.

having said that - things tend to grow - might be better to plan ahead.

then again - would it really help much?

I'm not sure where I come down on this.

other comments from the peanut-gallery? :)

-sv