[Yum] Re: yum] Basic auth fails in 1.97, works in previous versions

> ummm -- catching up email.  Is there a Yum Bugzilla on this ? --
> if not, please lemme know, and I'll slot this analysis for
> future maintainer/extenders.

nope, not bugzilla'd.

> One thing missing from the foregoing analysis and design is
> .netrc support.
>
> This file is _the_ preferred natural for for the FTP username
> and password pairs -- and indeed, a better place, for using it
> yields one LESS place that has to be kept 700 for security.
>
> Stated, differently, to add Yet Another Place (/etc/yum.conf)
> with cleartext passwords is sub-optimal.  To use .netrc alone,
> and to reference the decision in the yum.conf or yum man page
> is a win.

slight problem.
1. we'd have to add support for a new file format parsing mechanism
2. it's a file that is ONLY ever used by bsd ftp
3. it's an arcane file at best.

I'd rather keep the amount of code in yum that only does one thing to a
minimum. When that thing is external to the process of yum it gets even
less interesting to write/maintain.

I'm gonna say nix on this one. I don't see .netrc as a gain and it's an
option that would confuse folks, I think.

-sv