[Yum] upgrading a redhat distro

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 14:48, Brian Lalor wrote:
> I'm currently running RH7.3 on two machines.  I'm happy enough with RH9
> that I'd like to upgrade my other systems.  Is there a document that shows
> the steps required for this?
>
> My systems are relatively up-to-date and I've got yum 1.0 installed.

7.3->9 is tricky.

I've done it, once.

the problems are these:

1. python changes place
2. rpm-python changes place
3. rpm changes versions, massively.

so I'll probably play with it more and try it but the short version is
this:

1. rpm -e perl-NDBM_File - it was obsoleted by perl in 8.0 but not in 9
2. if you have any ANCIENT kernels installed but not running, remove
them
3. change your yum.conf file to point to 9
4. run yum upgrade
5. wait about 10mins for the deps to fully resolve (you might want to
get one of the dailies for 1.0 - they have a special . that tells you
its still running :)

6. it will do all the rpm updating, no problem.
7. it will die when it attempts to update the grub.conf/lilo.conf b/c of
the change of python's location - I've not figured out why this happens
yet.

so you'll need to add the kernel line in by yourself to lilo.conf if
you're running lilo - and make it the default if you're running
grub.conf (it will already be added)

8. then update yum to 1.97 or one of the daily releases.

done.

-sv