[Yum] Does yum correctly handle arch?

Hi Neal,

Neal D. Becker wrote:
> I'd like to try out yum for managing my linux boxes.  It looks easy, and I
> love python.
>
> A couple of questions first:
>
> 1) Will yum correctly handle arch?  If I'm using an athlon system, I want to
> install the athlon kernel.  I want the i686 version of glibc, etc.

Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Yes, we regularly use it on athelon, pentiums, dual athelon and
dual pentium.  It get's the right kernel and glibc everytime for us.

> 2) If yum included a --test or --dry-run switch, I wouldn't actually have to
> bother asking.

Yes, there are several ways to test, depending on what you want to test.

Perhaps the best thing is (unless you set the default different, or give it
the -y option) that anything that is going to actually do something to your
machine, it tells you what it is going to do and asks you if that is ok.

The other thing I often do, if I'm just curious is do the 'yum list <product>'
This will list what version of <product> you have installed, and what version
yum would upgrade (or install) it to.

I know that Connie (a co-worker here) does other things to check what's
installed, so I know there are multiple ways of doing tests, or dry-runs.

Hope that helps answer your questions.
Troy

Troy Dawson  dawson@xxxxxxxx  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  CSI Group