[Yum] failover

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 12:46:56PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 10:52, Jack Neely wrote:
> > Seth,
> >
> > Random thought....
> >
> > Is there...can there be a failover URL for each repository?  As in try
> > this URL first, if that fails try this one.  Assuming that both would
> > point to identical trees.
>
> russ herrold suggested making baseurl a list rather than a string.
> that way you could enable mirroring/failover.
>
> The question is:
>
> should it try all of them - and given that the new retrygrab mechanism
> will, by default, do up to 3 retries before declaring a failure should I
> then go on to continue to retry each baseurl as well?

There should be an order.  Try the first one...if fail try the second...

> there is getting to be lots of possibly unnecessary redundancy to cope
> with people with broken servers/network connections.

What do you suggest?

I've set up another server at NCSU dedicated (ideally) to installs and
updates for the RK at NCSU.  It is locked down so only NCSU can get to
it rather than have to fight with the folks on kickstart, and the fact
that kickstart tends to fall over 2 - 3 times a year.  I'd like to get
some redundancy so if updates.linux.ncsu.edu fails yum will try
kickstart.

My Real Big Problem(tm) is that I have no redundancy on the linux
infrastructure over here and I'm trying to build some with no money and
few machines.

Jack