[Yum] yum remove

Howdy,
I'm doing some major removing on a machine (like all of KDE and GNOME) so of
course I'm using yum remove (is there really any other way :) )

Well, while I'm sitting here waiting it's telling me (after I've told it 'yes'
it's ok)

Calculating available disk space - this could take a bit

Now I agree that it has to say something while it's working, but my question
is ... is it really calculating available disk space if it's removing things?
  And if it is ... why?

Please put this on the bottom of your list of things to answer.  It really is
purely curiosity.
Troy
Troy Dawson  dawson@xxxxxxxx  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  CSI Group