[Yum] Kernel upgrade ?

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 09:22, Troy Dawson wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> >
> > out of curiosity is there anyone out there still USING lilo?
> >

> Yes, it is used quite extensivly here at Fermilab.  For all our releases it is
> our default.
> Why?
> There are two main reasons.
>
> First is that all our users are used to it and all their old tricks work.  For
> instance, to get into single user mode, you just type 'linux single', while
> for grub you have to edit your files, and put in 'single', which is a whole
> lot more painful.

but grubby! grubby is your friend.

Just add a new section for it.

> On the same point, grub is horrendously documented.  If anything it is so over
> documented that you can't find what you are looking for.  The documentation
> was written for a coder, not for your average user wanting to find out how to
> get into single user mode, or something like that.
>
> Second, is that there is no -R command.  This might seem trivial, and I think
> it is, but the fact of the matter is, that there is lots of times, that I want
> to just boot into a partition once, and when I am in that partition I have no
> way to access the place where the grub file is.  So after I'm done, I have to
> sit there and wait at the desk until it boots up.  This is especially tricky
> when I'm not even at the machine in question, and I'm doing everything remotely.

there is a -R command

from the grub changelog from 7.3
add patch from GRUB mailing list from Keir Fraser to add a --once flag
to savedefault function so that you can have the equivalent of lilo -R
functionality (use 'savedefault --default=N --once' from the grub shell)

-sv