[Yum] Multiple Repository Hell

> I just meant that the IDEA for some of what yum did came from what yup
> did, so that yum did not spring fully formed from your brow, however
> impressive that brow might be...:-)

origins of yum are well founded actually:

Hollis Blanchard and Jeremy Katz had an exchange on a now-deceased yup
list back in Oct of 2001.

The gist was - if we tear off the headers on the rpms we can do the
depresolution on them. The headers are tiny and trivial to pass around
from system to system.

I talked to jeremy for a Loooooooooooooooooong time about it. Finally,
got my head around it and started playing - this was my first foray into
python so it was a lot shaky.

This was in the winter of 2001/2002 that I started cursing problems in
yup for duke-wide distribution - then in june I had something working so
I announced it.

So I stole the idea fair and square :-D

Jeremy Katz deserves a lot of credit for being patient enough to put up
with my near constant "what the hell does this do?" questioning
regarding rpm and dependency resolution in python.

There is probably 4 or 5 functions preserved from yup to yum - otherwise
it was a complete rewrite.

yup was much more class-ful than yum when I first started writing it -
my knowledge of OO programming is getting slowly better so more classes
are seeping back in.

-sv