[Yum] Idea about lessening the footprint.

--=-KR/nH0f77JhOSGH2Tjnw

Heyya:

I thought I'd throw this at you. My current concern with yum is the
amount of memory it uses -- though I understand that it's the problem
with the way rpm bindings to python work and there isn't much that can
be done about it. I have something to consider, however, which could
drastically improve the memory footprint, though would probably take
some effort to write.

How about we provide a way to limit the scope of which packages out of a
repository get considered. Most of the work is already done for us,
since comps.xml has pretty self-contained groups with all dependencies
already resolved for us (more or less). If there is a way to tell yum
"only consider packages from certain groups and ignore the rest," the
footprint will go down quite significantly, since fewer packages will
need to be loaded into memory for dependency resolution.

For example, let's say I have a beowulf node, that only has base,
beowulf-linux, and X. This allows me to ignore me about 2000 extra
packages that are devel, gnome, kde, multimedia, etc, limiting the scope
of the dependency resolution to about 400 packages altogether. I imagine
that the memory footprint on such operation is going to be much, much
lower.

What do you think? Is this possible, and how much pain would that be?

Regards,
--=20
Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
Duke University Physics Sysadmin