[Yum] some thoughts on yum

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, kenneth topp wrote:

> On 30 Jun 2003, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > > 5) what is the point of keeping .hdr files in /var/cache that are no
> > > longer on the server? (debugging?, saves d/ling everything again if a repo
> > > was flakey?) Whatever it is, it shouldn't be the default...
> >
> > yum clean old-headers.
> >
> > removing them each time doesn't really help all that much especially
> > considering how little space they use and sometimes you'll find you're
> > removing and deleting the same headers A LOT if you did it each time.
> >

> well after a couple months I got up to 300MB, and cleaning it (just "yum
> clean") got me down to 60MB.  Why do you think I'd be removing the same
> entries a lot?  Perhaps there is a way that we can remove the files don't
> correspond to files available on the server anymore?  I don't see why yum
> must require maintance.

If you use yum clean as opposed to yum clean old-headers you are not only
removing ALL headers you are removing copies of any rpms that got downloaded
for install/upgrade. That is what takes up large amounts of space.

The headers take up very little space. Of course if it really bothers you
you could just do as I do and add yum clean packages to your daily cron job.

I have a couple of low disk spare machines that are hard to access. Cleaning
up the packages lying around after they are updated/installed helps the
situation.

In answer to your question about maintenance, I do not see any reason to add code
to yum when it can be taken care of with a simple cron job. Some people might
want to keep all of the packages dloaded on their machine for one reason or
another.

Just my $.02.

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org