[Yum] some thoughts on yum

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 13:29, kenneth topp wrote:
> 1) I used to comment out baseurl to have yum skip over a repo, but that
> generates a stacktrace now:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 45, in ?
>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "yummain.py", line 106, in main
>   File "yummain.py", line 65, in parseCmdArgs
>   File "config.py", line 123, in __init__
>   File "config.py", line 247, in _doreplace
> TypeError: expected string or buffer

I should catch the error - but commenting out a baseurl is not enough to
remove the repo entry.

> 2) maybe adding version number, other debuging info in stacktrace would be
> helpful?
> $ rpm -qf /usr/bin/yum
> yum-1.98-fr1.rh9

been considered I think it will probably occur hand in hand as when the
yumException stuff gets written.

> 3) add --changelog information to .hdr.  Yeah, It's not part of the rpm
> header, but it would be very useful to any gui with multiple conflicting
> repo's (like fedora vs. freshrpms), the user could say, get fr's mplayer
> based on the fact that this new version fixed xyz...   It seems that this
> shouldn't be too hard, or break anything...

actually --changelog is in the header.

> 4) allow users to generator .hdr files when there isn't a repo..  If I
> point yum at a directory full of rpms, why can't it just make .hdr files
> and not require any server side setup at all?  It seems that both ftp and
> http support retrieving byte ranges, this would be nice as then all
> directories with rpms in it are yum repos..  It seems that any yum setup
> on servers should be optional..

it's not sensible and it's expensive - it's not a mode of operation I
find to be interesting - if someone else wants to implement it fine -
I'll look at it - but it's not as trivial as it seems at first glance
and its not terribly useful.

yum-arch /some/local/path
baseurl=file:///some/local/path

just as good - I use it for local rpms I want. I have a standing repo
called local that I can throw rpms in, run yum-arch . on them and be
done. as a dir it gets horribly crufty but <shrug> I clean it out once
every month or so.

> 5) what is the point of keeping .hdr files in /var/cache that are no
> longer on the server? (debugging?, saves d/ling everything again if a repo
> was flakey?) Whatever it is, it shouldn't be the default...

yum clean old-headers.

removing them each time doesn't really help all that much especially
considering how little space they use and sometimes you'll find you're
removing and deleting the same headers A LOT if you did it each time.

-sv