[Yum] Re: yum] daily release for 2.0 branch

> Well i was refering to compatibility with things like up2date, rpm
> dist included tools, etc.. Would seem like a waste of time and effort
> to go out and convince the world to change their standards because 'we
> want them to'

actually you can do this. It's called cooperation. Just b/c $company
does something doesn't mean we are beholden to them.

I think making up systems and 'standards' and pushing them so other
people use them is how real 'standards' are created.

you'll note red hat has not tried to push the .hdr file as a standard at
all. They just use it for themselves.

Companies are not the only ones who can make standards, and up2date,
imo, is not the standard.

> All in all, i see a lot off disadvantages for choosing to go gzip
> compressed files _only_ and abandoning standards, interoperability,
> etc.

I don't think anyone even remotely suggested that plain header reading
was going away. It was a bug. that's it.

no point in getting excited about it.

-sv