[Yum] daily release for 2.0 branch

--------------050704090004070608090606

No no.. the header reading is done manually, not using (lib)rpm

the whole concept is to do a 'ls' on a ftp site, fetch & save (only) the
headers, and generate a local headers.info file. Then on client
processing side of things, nothing changes for yum so there's no
negative impact on functionality

Requires a bit of low level hacking and understanding of rpm file
internals, but it's not rocket science (see
http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-file-format-rpm-file-format.html for
info on the lead, signature and header part of rpm files)

seth vidal wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 08:24, Chris Chabot wrote:
>

>>Thing is, i'm working on a few other posible patches for yum.. two of
>>which would depend on non-compressed headers.
>>
>>One is a proof-of-concept tool that downloads the headers from a
>>normal redhat ftp server (open rpm file, only read in & parse sig,
>>lead and header part of the file, and save header to disk and generate
>>a local header.info), and one to parse up2date saved headers.
>>
>>Both would rely on non compressed .hdr parsing ;-)
>>

>The first is asking for trouble in keeping things updated. Keeping up
>with a unindexed repository will be a serious pain in the ass. I looked
>into it in some detail.
>
>Also reading _just_ the header from a remote site will require turning
>off any signature checking in rpm as rpm 4.2 and above will want to read
>the whole file in, otherwise.
>
>-sv

--------------050704090004070608090606

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
using (lib)rpm<br>
the whole concept is to do a 'ls' on a ftp site, fetch &amp; save
(only) the headers, and generate a local headers.info file. Then on
client processing side of things, nothing changes for yum so there's no
negative impact on functionality<br>
Requires a bit of low level hacking and understanding of rpm file
internals, but it's not rocket science (see
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-file-format-rpm-file-format.html";>http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-file-format-rpm-file-format.html</a> for
info on the lead, signature and header part of rpm files)<br>
seth vidal wrote:<br>
    <pre wrap="">Thing is, i'm working on a few other posible patches for yum.. two of
which would depend on non-compressed headers.

One is a proof-of-concept tool that downloads the headers from a
normal redhat ftp server (open rpm file, only read in &amp; parse sig,
lead and header part of the file, and save header to disk and generate
a local header.info), and one to parse up2date saved headers.

Both would rely on non compressed .hdr parsing ;-)
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->