[Yum] Separating meta-data location from packages (was: Extending yum...)

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:45:28AM -0600, Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
> I talked to Seth and he directed me here as somebody could be interested =
in my=20
> ideas.=20
> My idea in general is to make yum much more package-system independant (i=
.e.=20
> so it could be used for rpms as well as debs and tgzs). Plus Make it poss=
ible=20
> to run it on one machine and redistribute results on the rest of machines=
.=20
> And final but still importand make it possible to collect data not only f=
rom=20
> FS or rpmdb but also from RDBMS.

Yet another idea would be to seperate meta-data location from the rpms
themselves. Say, I'd want to offer a Ximian yum repository, but
wouldn't want to host the rpms themselves, only the header files.

In general it would be convenient to have redirections for rpms, for
instance if the target repository doesn't have a flat structure, like
Red Hat's update directories.

This might enable to create large virtual repositories, without having
to mirror all the bits.

But maybe this can already be done with HTTP redirection?
--=20
Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7--