[Yum] More suggestions...

> <itemize>
>  <item> Either .yumrc or e.g yum -f myyum.conf to replace /etc/yum.conf.
> Right now one has to edit /etc/yum.conf as root to add a repository
> "permanently".  This is not desireable, especially if one only wishes to
> graze one of the other public repository to see what they have or to get
> a single package.  Remember, every repository on that list is presumed
> to be infinitely trusted as any RPM installed as root from there can
> destroy every system that updates from it literally overnight.

yum -c yourconf works just fine.

it's in the man page.

> <item> In fact, yum -u http://www.tomsrepository.org/coolstuff would be
> good for the same reason.  Obviously good for seeing what Tom's
> Repository has handy with yum list or yum info without root privileges
> or needing to hack on yum.conf.  Also good for root to grab a single
> package from Tom to install and try out (planning to move it/mirror it
> to your own repository if it is "good").

what does -u do?

yum -c takes urls to config files.

do you mean to specify an arbitrary place to look for files etc? Where
would a non-root user store the metadata that yum needs?

> <item> "make rpm" as a make target.  I'm happy to contribute this as I
> use one routinely.  To build a yum repository, as far as I can tell one
> MUST build the yum rpm after customizing /etc/yum.conf and so forth for
> the site.  Sure, y'all probably build rpm's in your sleep, but
> documenting the build process for a novice administrator who
> nevertheless wants to get started using yum is even more work than
> building a make target.  Although I'm doing it anyway <sigh>.

make rpm target gives me hives and ultimately is a lousy way to test to
make sure your tarball is correct.

I do a make dist
then rpmbuild -ta yum-somever.tar.gz

yum-arch doesn't at ANY TIME need a yum.conf file so a repo doesn't need
any editing of the rpm.

-sv