[Yum] Damaged Headers error

So I want to make sure I understand your configuration:

rhl 8.0
yum 1.0.1

You're trying to make it so your internal server downloads all the
packages/headers it needs then offers them to your internal hosts to
get.

The problem you're encountering is that your server is not downloading
all the headers. The reason it isn't is simple enough - b/c it doesn't
need them all.

So when workstationX asks for the vsftpd header, for example, it can't
find it b/c your server doesn't have it.

So I would suggest a couple of different options.

1. rsync is a good method for getting a local copy of data w/o having to
re-download every file every time.

 for example if you want to make a complete copy of all the data in the
yum repository on mirror.dulug.duke.edu for red hat linux 8.0 you would
run:

rsync -avH mirror.dulug.duke.edu::archive/pub/yum-repository/redhat/8.0 .

That will download all the files in that directory into a dir named 8.0
in the current working directory.

to get all the updates for 8.0 you would run:

rsync -avH mirror.dulug::archive/pub/yum-repository/redhat/updates/8.0/ update-8.0

then you'll have a complete copy of those two repositories that you can
then host out for your workstations.

alternatively, if you have downloaded all of the red hat linux 8.0 rpms
and its updates you could just run 'yum-arch .' in the directories that
you have them in. That will create the headers directory and the .hdr
files.

There is a howto being worked on :)

Rob Brown showed me a preliminary draft yesterday. It's not finished
yet, though.

> When I look into the /var/cache/yum directory on the workstation I see
> that the headers were downloaded...whether they are corrupted or not I
> don't know how to check for that.  Can you explain to me what the errors
> mean?

it means an error occurred when opening and checking the header

the header check is really simple

yum knows that it is downloading the header for a pkg name and pkg arch.

so it opens the header and says "is your name and arch equal what we
think it should?"

If it can't open the header or gets the wrong  answer then it is a
corrupt header.

tada.

That's the whole check.

in this case the error is most likely that there is no file available so
it can't open it or download it or it's downloading a 404 error message.

That's what the error message looks like at least.

-sv