[Yum] Re: yum mirroring

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 08:09, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> which doesn't mirror the WHOLE repository, but only the distro_9 part.
> IIRC it will do something moderately horrible with the path on your
> mirror site -- you might get ./pub/linux/distro_9.  It doesn't really
> behave like a cp.

I didn't mind the path stuff, but it did seem to go up the tree. Also,
wget would never remove old files. I guess until there is a definite
standard of getting the "contents of an http directory" (say, index.xml
or something to do the enumeration), it's always going to be an html
parse-fest. Also, wget needs to do a http head or whatever to get the
time stamp, for each file it already has individually.

In the end, I just hacked together something in python -- see my
previous email.

> rsync is actually by far the preferred tool.  It is designed to do
> precisely what you need (synchronize two images, perfectly), efficiently
> (copying compressed images of just what has changed), and safely (where
> you can select whether or not to delete files that are no longer in the
> images being sync'd.  The issue of whether or not they support it on
[snip]

Yeah, rsync is nice, but it does require:
 - another daemon on the back end
 - more holes to punch through the firewall(s)
 - more client tools

There is no reason a general tool couldn't simply augment http or http
directories some how - seems to be a simple software problem. However,
from a programmers perspective I do tend to disagree with the
"everything over http" mentality that have taken over with that
SOAP/XML-RPC stuff.

I'm less concerned about the security though, as I use gpgcheck=1 on all
my yum clients. This way, I can be sure that the file has not been been
tampered with. Secure point to point communication guarantees only that
one line of communication.

--
// Aleksander.Demko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ademko@xxxxxx scopira.org //