[Yum] yum's awesome, ideas

On 28 Jul 2003, Aleksander Demko wrote:

> Yum's awesome, just giving you guys a quick heads up :) I knew there had
> to be something better than the restricted/not extensible nature of
> up2date/rhn and the shear layer of cruft that is apt for rpm. I've found
> the distribution solution to the software we'll soon be releasing.
>
> Question: is there an easy way to mirror an HTTP yum repository? I can't
> seem to figure out the proper wget options. Or could this be a yum-arch
> task?

There is a little bit on this in my pre-alpha-first-draft-largely-wrong
yum HOWTO.

  http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/yum_HOWTO/yum_HOWTO/index.html

Now that I'm back from vacation I might even spend another day fixing
this and writing more.  At the moment lots of it is just wrong, but I
think that the rsync part is ok, and I had a wget section in one of the
drafts (but it may not have made it into the draft HOWTO).  I recall
wget is pretty simple as well, but you have to tell it to decend
recursively to an appropriate depth or use the --mirror option.
Something like:

  wget --mirror http://whatever.repository.youlike.org -o /tmp/mirror_log

should do it.  You have to look to see if rsync works for each
repository you might want to mirror.  Where it works it is "better".  It
is also reasonable to ask permission before mirroring regularly from a
public repository that doesn't already grant it openly.  Some sites have
spare bandwidth and a public-spiritedness, others don't.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx